How a tweet fixed the heating in four hours


We all have a way we prefer to get in touch, whether that’s face-to-face or firing off a quick tweet. That’s why we provide different channels for residents to get in touch and report their housing issues. Our dedicated Twitter channel has proved that social media continues to be a popular way for residents to do just that, with 625 repairs queries received to date through this channel since the housing service was brought back in-house in April 2019.

One resident used Twitter to inform the team that the communal heating had stopped working. Following an investigation, engineers were sent to the site that same afternoon and the repair was fixed. They said:

“Thank you for the rapid follow up. We now have heat. Thank you.”

Cllr Andrew Smith, Westminster City Council cabinet member for housing services, said: “Residents are at the heart of everything we do, and they told us that we need to improve our customer service centre.

“By using Twitter as an extension of our customer services, we are increasing the ways residents can reach out to us, ensuring we provide the same levels of service, procedure and fast resolution across all our channels.”

With a response time of just four hours, the customer services team have embraced the new way of communicating, which now has over 4,200 followers. The top three issues received are reports of illegal short letting, general estate maintenance and individual home repairs. All enquiries follow the same process as the other ways of reporting issues, such as the 0800 number, email, website or visiting the local area service centres.

Resident feedback has helped shaped the new @wcchousing feed and turn it into a key channel for targeting repairs. When asked in early 2019 what customers felt needed to be improved about the service, repairs reigned as the number one priority – and being able to report them quickly and easily was crucial.

Residents can contact us on Twitter @wcchousing or call 0800 358 3783 (freephone), email or visit us at one of our local area service centres.