When you first move into your new home there will be a few things you will want to sort out to help you get settled.


You can choose which electricity company you wish to supply power to your home. You may want to use a price comparison website  as these can tell you the best value deal for the amount of electricity you are likely to use - although not all suppliers can be found on these sites. When you've chosen the electricity company will need to know:

  • your name and address
  • the date you moved in
  • the meter reading from that date
  • how you will be going to pay.

    If you prefer a ‘pay as you go’ payment plan then you can ask your supplier to fit an electricity pre-payment meter. If you do this you need to let us know first.

Heating and hot water

If your property is connected to a communal or district heating scheme, we will include the cost of heating and hot water alongside your rent. Currently, heating and hot water charges are pooled across properties supplied by communal systems and charged a flat rate.

In April 2017, we started to trial a new heating and hot water `metering & billing’ system to a number of properties with either individual or block-based meters. Under the new billing system, some residents have started to receive heating and hot water statements for the first time. The statements provide more accurate detail about how much heating and hot water is being used (either at block level, or individual flat level) compared to what you currently pay. With this new system, your weekly heating and hot water charge could go up or down in future depending on how much energy you use.

For help and advise on ways to reduce your heating and hot water usage, please take a look at our general energy saving advice guide in the box to the right. We also have user-guides for the individual metered systems - one for Cyclo-control electric heating and one for Heat Interface Units (HIUs).

From April 2018, we will roll out this new billing system to another 1,500 properties.

If you have your own boiler and the cost of heating and hot water is not included in your rent, you need to make sure you make payments directly to your chosen utility provider.           


We'll let you know when you sign your tenancy if your home is fitted with gas appliances.

We let many of our homes with the gas supply ready to use. The supplier will vary but you can choose to switch to another company if you prefer. You can also ask the supplier to fit a gas pre-payment meter if you wish.

Some of our properties have a communal gas supply and the residents of these pay for gas through a payment scheme. If you live in one of these properties we’ll add the cost of gas to your service charge.

If your home needs connecting to a gas supply when you move in then we’ll let you know the best way to get a connection arranged. You must never allow anyone to touch your gas supply unless they are a qualified Gas Safe engineer. If you decide that you would like a gas supply added to your property and have one connected then you must let us know so we can include it in our annual safety checks.

Checking your gas safety

When you move in we’ll give you a copy of the gas safety record for your new home. This tells you when your gas appliances were last serviced and checked. To ensure they are safe, a qualified engineer will check your appliances every year. You must give us access to your home for these checks to be carried out.


If you wish to get online then contact your preferred internet service provider. You’ll have to pay any connection or equipment charges. Once again, it may pay to shop around.

You might find that a phone and broadband package is cheaper than arranging them both separately so make sure you check with your supplier.


If you wish to have a telephone connected at your new address then contact your preferred telephone company. You’ll have to pay a fee to reconnect an existing line or to put a new one in.

If you have only moved a short distance then you may be able to keep your old phone number. If you want to do this then you should ask about it before you move. And remember: If you change your number, you should let us know.

Telling people you've moved

The Royal Mail will re-direct post from your old home to your new address for a small fee. You can pick up a form for this at your local post office or visit the Royal Mail website (opens new window).

When you move, you may also need to tell:

Water supply

Your water supply will be connected when you move in. You will need to call the water company to tell them:

  • your name and address
  • the date you moved in.

We will tell you if your service charge includes water. If it does not then the water company will set up your account.