You may want to make changes to your home to suit your style and needs, but please make sure you get our written permission before going ahead with any alterations to your home.
Please note: If you don’t apply for permission you will be in breach of your lease and we could take legal action. You may also be required to amend any unacceptable alterations.
- How to apply for alterations
- List of alterations that require formal permission
- List of alterations unlikely to receive approval
- Requirements when carrying out alterations
Please download and complete the application form for alterations (PDF 140KB- opens new window) and send it to us at the address below or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Leasehold operations, 137 Lupus Street, London, SW1V 3HE
Application to change fire door
You also require our formal permission if you are planning on changing your front entrance door or a secondary means of escape door. You will need to download and complete the ‘Application to change fire door’ which can be found on the right hand side of this page. Once your application is received, we will advise you on progress and any conditions that may apply.
Associated costs and how to pay
The cost of processing our standard application for most types of work is £550.00, however certain minor works such as changing your boiler, changing your front door or upgrading your consumer unit are charged at £100.00.
Please note that the application fee of £550.00 includes a mandatory £150.00 fee for the Council to carry out an asbestos survey within your property. On receipt of your application, if we determine that your scope of work does not require this test, we will offer you a refund of this additional cost.
Payment for our alterations fee can be made by including a cheque with your application, made payable to 'City of Westminster'. Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 358 3783 to make payment by debit/credit card.
Dependent on the type of work you are carrying out, you will either be provided a Letter of Consent on completion of the work or a Licence for Alterations. There are no additional costs involved for providing a Letter of Consent, however there is a legal fee payable for a Licence of Alterations which is currently £1,360.00. Please note that this cost could increase if a Deed of Variation is required (usually applicable if the work is carried out to something which is not demised to the property such as windows) or if the matter becomes protracted.
- works affecting the structure of the building
- works affecting any services to the property, for example; electricity, gas, drainage, water
- installation of central heating / replacement of boiler
- any change to the internal layout of your property
- erection of a conservatory
- new kitchens and bathrooms
- changing or removing any internal doors
- asbestos removal
- fitting wooden floors - by law, you must also lay down sound insulation
- replacing kitchen and bathroom units - as long as it does not include gas and electrical works or work to the drainage
- the installation of a satellite dish - this requires approval from the estate office and Westminster City Council’s planning department
- installation of sky-lights to flat roofs
- installation of fire curtains
- the installation of more than two bathrooms per dwelling
- the installation of a douche
- the relocation of a kitchen or bathroom over a bedroom
- replacement of windows
- habitable rooms must remain enclosed
- habitable rooms must be minimum 6.5M2 in size
- you may only install one macerator per dwelling
- you must carry out the required asbestos removal/containment work as outlined in our survey before works begin
Where alterations or extensions have been carried out without landlord's consent, you should be aware that in the event of a major incident you may not be fully covered. If you are unsure if the level of cover is adequate, you are advised to arrange for the flat to be surveyed and valued for insurance purposes by a RICS qualified surveyor. Where we receive written requests for a chance in the fire valuation we will consider them. Please note that Insurance cover runs for a full financial year and no changes affecting the premium can be made until the next renewal date.
If you have any queries regarding the level of insurance provided, please email email@example.com or write to Insurance Section, Town Hall, 8 Hornton Street, London W8 7NX.
If you have any questions regarding alterations contact us on 0800 358 3783.