You may want to make changes to your home to suit your style and needs, but please make sure you get our written permission before going ahead with any alterations to your home.

The list below shows alterations that require our formal permission:

  • works affecting the structure of the building
  • works affecting any services to the property, for example, electricity, gas, drainage, water
  • installation of central heating / replacement of boiler
  • any change to the internal layout of your property
  • erection of a conservatory
  • rewiring
  • new kitchens and bathrooms
  • changing or removing any internal doors
  • asbestos removal - please read our guide on asbestos here for further advice

You also require our formal permission if you are planning on changing your front entrance door or a secondary means of escape door. You will need to download and complete the ‘Application to change fire door’ which can be found on the right hand side of this page. Please refer to the ‘Apply for Permission’ section below for information on how to submit your application.  

These alterations are unlikely to receive our approval:

  • installation of sky-lights to flat roofs
  • installation of fire curtains
  • the installation of more than two bathrooms per dwelling
  • the installation of a douche
  • the relocation of a kitchen or bathroom over a bedroom
  • replacement of windows

Please do not carry out any of the above mentioned works without having discussed with us first, using the contact details provided below. 

Please note that we have the following requirements when carrying out alterations:

  • habitable rooms must remain enclosed
  • habitable rooms must be minimum 6.5M2 in size
  • you may only install one macerator per dwelling

These alterations need approval from your local area office:

  • the installation of a satellite dish - needs approval from the estate office and Westminster City Council’s planning department

These alterations may need approval from Westminster City Council:

  • fitting wooden floors - by law, you must also lay down sound insulation
  • replacing kitchen and bathroom units - as long as it does not include gas and electrical works or work to the drainage.

Apply for permission

Please download and complete the application form for alterations and send it to us at the address below.

  • South area service centre, 137 Lupus Street, London, SW1V 3HE

Once your application is received, we will advise you on progress and any conditions that may apply. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.

Call: 0800 358 3783

Please note that you can also apply for Alterations approval by submitting our online application form.

If you don’t apply for permission you will be breaking the terms of your tenancy with us and we could take legal action against you. You may be unable to do any further works and amend any unacceptable alterations. You will also be liable for our legal costs.