What is Supporting People

What is Supporting People

The Supporting People programme aims to improve the quality of life for a range of vulnerable adults and young people in Westminster and enables these residents to achieve improved health, greater independence and control in making life choices. 

Supporting People can help with a variety of housing related support services and there are lots of members of society that can benefit from the support. These include;

  • rough sleepers
  • young sing homeless people with support needs and at risk
  • homeless families with support needs
  • older people with support needs
  • people with mental health problems
  • people with learning difficulties
  • people with physical or sensory disabilities
  • people at risk of offending
  • people escaping domestic abuse
  • people with alcohol and/or drug problems

The programme will only pay for housing related support services that help people to live independently. It does not pay for care services. 

What type of support can I get

The type of support you can expect will depend on your individual circumstances, but the support will focus on promoting or maintaining independence. This support will include;

  • general information and advice
  • developing independent living skills involved in managing a home
  • managing health needs and referral to specialist services
  • accessing training and work opportunities
  • reducing isolation and becoming active in the community
  • home and personal safety

What types of services provide this help

There are different types of service;

Accommodation based support

You can get support in lots of different specialist housing schemes. These include sheltered housing for older people hostels for the homeless, supported housing for people living with mental health problems and women’s refuge. There is staff at the accommodation that is provided.

Floating Support

This type of support is available to people in their own homes in Westminster prevent homelessness or to help manage and maintain your tenancy.

Home Improvement

The Home Improvement agency provides a service for private tenants and owner occupiers who are older, disabled or living on a low income to improve living conditions, enabling them to remain in their own home. 

How to get housing related support service

For help on how to access housing related support services in Westminster, have a look at our directory.

To find out about other ways you can get support to be independent, visit People First’s website

    Last updated: 18 May 2016
    Rate this page: