National lockdown: Stay at Home restrictions. More information.

Use of information

Local authority use of information

The Local Authority (LA) uses information about children and young people for whom it provides services, to enable it to carry out specific functions for which it is responsible. It also uses the information to derive statistics to inform decisions on (for example) the funding of schools, and to assess the performance of schools and set targets for them. The statistics are used in such a way that individual children cannot be identified from them.

The Local Authority will use information about its school workforce for research and statistical purposes, and to evaluate and develop education policy and strategies. The statistics are used in such a way that individual staff cannot be identified from them. The LA may also use it to support and monitor schools regarding sickness and recruitment of staff.

The information will be held in confidence with only the necessary people working within the combined children’s services (Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster local authorities) able to access and handle it.

The council has a duty under the Children’s Act 2004 to work with partners to develop and improve services to children and young people in the area. As such, the council may also use this information for other legitimate purposes and may share information (where necessary) with other council departments, for example Early Years, Youth Support, Admissions, Troubled Families, Early Help, Children’s Social Care, School Improvement Team, Special Education Needs (SEN) Team, and ACE (Attendance, Child Employment and Elective home education and children missing education team) Team and external bodies, for example School Nursing (the service is currently provided by Central London Community Healthcare (CLCH), Health visiting and MASH (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub) who are responsible for administering services to children and young people where it is demonstrably in the child’s health or educational interest, or where there is a welfare/safeguarding issue. We may share pupil data with your borough of residence, for the purposes of service improvement. This data sharing will be approved and controlled by the Bi-Borough Education Data Manager.

The LA share some of the information collected with the Department for Education (DfE) to enable them to produce statistics, assess LA performance, determine the destinations of young people after they have left school or college and to evaluate Government funded programmes.

The LA may also share information with post-16 education and training providers to secure appropriate support for them.  The LA may also share data with education establishments which shows what their pupils go on to do after the age of 16. 

Youth Support Services

For pupils aged 13 and over, schools are legally required to pass certain information to the provider of Youth Support Services in their area. This is the local authority support service for young people in England who are aged 13 to 19. The school must provide; the name, date of birth, address and name of the pupil’s parent(s)/(guardians) and any further information relevant to the support services' role.

Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCG’s)

CCG's use information about pupils for research and statistical purposes, to develop, monitor and evaluate the performance of local health services. These statistics will not identify individual pupils. It is necessary for certain health information about children (e.g. such as their height and weight) to be retained for a certain period of time (designated by the Department of Health).  CCG’s may also provide individual schools and LAs with aggregated health information which will not identify individual children.

Education and training

The LA and education and training support services hold information about young people living in our area, including about their education and training history. This is to support the provision of their education up to the age of 20 (and beyond this age for those with a special education need or disability).  Education institutions and other public bodies (including the Department for Education (DfE), police, probation and health services) may pass information to us to help us to do this (under the Education and Skills Act 2008, parts 1 and 2).


Last updated: 4 April 2018