Disruption expected 6 to 20 October due to Extinction Rebellion protests – read more about the possible impact.

Riding establishment licences

To run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction) in Westminster, you need a licence from us issued under the provisions of the Riding Establishments Act 1964.

1. How to apply

Apply online

View fees list (PDF, 503KB)

Find out more about applying by post

Eligibility Criteria

Applicants must be over 18 years of age and must not have been disqualified from:

  • keeping a riding establishment
  • keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • keeping boarding establishments for animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
  • keeping or owning animals, being able to influence how animals are kept, dealing animals or transporting or being involved in the transporting of animals under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 
  • owning, keeping, dealing or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006

Regulation Summary

View a regulation summary relating to this licence 

Find more information about riding establishments and animal welfare from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

2. What happens next

Before determining an application, we must consider a report from a veterinary surgeon or practitioner establishing whether the premises are suitable for a riding establishment, and detailing the conditions of the premises and horses.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent will apply if an application is unopposed. This means you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period which is 30 calendar days for this type of application.

3. View the public register

A public register as required under the Riding Establishments Act 1964 is available to view at the council's offices during normal office hours. To make an appointment to view the register, please contact the licensing team.

4. Redress information

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance. An applicant whose application is refused can appeal to the City of Westminster Magistrates' Court, 70 Horseferry Road, London SW1P 2AX.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance. A licence holder can appeal against a condition to the City of Westminster Magistrates' Court, 70 Horseferry Road, London SW1P 2AX.

Consumer complaint

We advise you first contact the trader, preferably by letter with proof of delivery. If that hasn't worked and you are in the UK, Advice Direct will advise you. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

The council operates a complaints procedure. View the complaints procedure or make a complaint relating to the service you have received

Trade associations

Last updated: 18 May 2017