We’re launching a new website very soon. View the new site while it's still under construction.

Registering to vote

Registering to vote has never been easier. If you are a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of another European Union State, aged 17 or over and are resident in Westminster for at least 6 months of the year then visit GOV.UK to register.

Register to vote

View a full list of eligible countries (PDF, 25KB)

Electoral Registration applications are made individually and you will be asked to provide your date of birth and national insurance number if you have one. These details will be used to verify your identity.

Privacy Notice

To verify your identity, the data you provide will be processed by the Individual Electoral Registration Digital Service managed by the Cabinet Office. As part of this process your data will be shared with the Department of Work and Pensions and the Cabinet Office suppliers that are data processors for the Individual Electoral Registration Digital Service. Find out more at GOV.UK

Special circumstances

For those who are living overseas, crown servants or diplomats and their dependents, homeless people and voluntary patients in mental health hospitals, there are special registration arrangements. Please seek further advice from Electoral Services.

Anonymous registration

You can apply to be registered anonymously if you believe that being on the register of electors could affect your safety. If you believe this to be the case please contact Electoral Services to receive further information and confidential guidance.

Opting out of the open register

You can opt out of the open register – the version of the electoral register that’s available to anyone who wants to buy a copy. To opt out, please call or email Electoral Services. Opting out doesn’t affect your right to vote.

I've already told the council I live here 

Even if you have registered for council tax or council services, you still need to apply to register. 

More information about changes to electoral registration

Your vote matters

Electoral registration leaflet - a generic overview (PDF, 122KB)

Electoral registration leaflet for people new to the UK (PDF, 122KB)

What happens to my personal details (PDF, 147KB)

Last updated: 21 August 2018