Christmas recycling and rubbish collections
Information about changes to collections over Christmas, and how to recycle real Christmas trees.
Published: 27 October 2022
Last updated: 16 November 2022
Residential recycling and rubbish collections
Please remember that the following items cannot be put in the mixed recycling and need to be put in the general rubbish, please reuse items if possible:
- Glitter and foil wrapping paper
- Glitter Christmas cards
- Non-paper gift wrapping and gift bags
- Bubble wrap
- Plastic bags and film
- Christmas crackers
- Ribbons and bows
- Food wrappers and packets
If your property already receives our food waste recycling service there will be no changes to your collections over the festive period either. More about our food waste recycling service.
Commercial recycling and rubbish collections over Christmas
Please visit the commercial waste website for further information.
Real Christmas Tree Recycling Points
Westminster has over 25 recycling points for real Christmas trees. You can take your tree to a drop-off point from the start of 28 December 2022 to the end of day 8 January 2023. Opening hours are 8am to 8pm unless they are in parks, which close at 4.30pm.
Please remove all decorations, stands and netting from the tree before bringing it to a recycling point.
Only trees taken to recycling points will be turned into woodchip and soil improver.
Tips for a Sustainable Christmas
- Reuse your wrapping paper and cards by cutting them up to make gift tags for next year!
- All your jars, from cranberry sauce to mincemeat, can be recycled. Just give them a rinse and recycle with your other glass. No need to remove the labels, they’ll come off in the recycling process.