Approval of marriage and civil partnership venues

To hold a civil ceremony or wedding at premises in the City of Westminster, they must be approved by the licensing authority.

1. How to apply or renew a licence

You must be the proprietor or a trustee of the premises to apply for approval to hold civil ceremonies or weddings.

Apply for venue approval online

Renew venue approval online

View fees list (PDF, 503KB)

All applications must include:

  • a plan of the premises clearly identifying the rooms where ceremonies will occur
  • written consent from the appropriate governing body, if you want approval for a religious premises

Find out more about applying by post

Displaying notice

The licensing service will advertise applications on the applicant’s behalf.

Regulation summaries

2. What happens next

Your premises will be inspected by the relevant authorities.

For applications to be granted, your premises must be deemed suitable, however, your application may still be refused if it is felt that there are too many approved premises in the area for the registrars to attend.

Conditions may be imposed to your approval and the registrar general may issue guidance to assist us in making our decision.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent will apply if the application is unopposed. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us within 30 working days.

Making an appeal

View information on appeals and complaints

Trade associations

Last updated: 20 June 2018
Rate this page: