Skip to main content

Short-term lets

Find out about the rules and regulation governing short-term (or nightly) letting.

Published on: 17 December 2020

Last updated: 11 July 2022

For residents

If a neighbouring property is being used for short-term letting and is causing local issues, here are some options to tackle the problem.

  • Speak to the landlord and let them know you have concerns - they may not realise that their guests are causing problems for neighbours
  • If the problems persist, try speaking to your building manager (if you have one)
  • If you believe the landlord is breaking the law, or the property is causing significant and ongoing disruption, you should report it to us.

Noise or anti-social behaviour

If you are facing repeated problems with noise or anti-social behaviour, let us know by emailing [email protected] or you can report a noise complaint online.

We will investigate properties that cause significant disruption, fear, alarm or distress to neighbours. Please note that we cannot take action if the noise is inconsistent or could be associated with normal and reasonable daily living.

If you witness crime, or feel there is any immediate danger, you should always contact the police.

Breach of 90-night limit

If you believe the property is being let for more than 90 nights a year, you can report a short-term let breach online.

We will visit the property to establish if there is a breach of the law. This will require multiple visits to establish the required evidence. You can help our investigation by keeping a record of the date, time, duration and nature of the disturbances.