Performing animals registration

If you exhibit, use or train performing animals in the City of Westminster, you must be registered with the licensing authority under the provisions of the Performing Animals (Regulations) Act 1925. This includes the filming of animals that are not in their natural habitat and not acting in their natural behaviour.

View the licensing team's contact details

1. How to apply

Apply online

View fees list (PDF, 503KB)

Guidelines for the welfare of performing animals

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) have produced guidelines for the welfare of performing animals. We encourage anyone considering using animals in productions to read this and implement the suggestions.

Eligibility criteria

Applicants must not have been given a court order preventing them from training or exhibiting a wild animal, or from holding a registration.

Performing animals don't include invertebrate animals (animals with exterior skeletons like insects or no skeletons like jellyfish, etc).


Registration doesn't apply to the training of animals for bona fide military, police, agricultural or sporting purposes, or the exhibition of any animals so trained.

Regulation summary

Read the regulation summary relating to this certificate

2. What happens next

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply to this licence. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact the licensing team. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service.

3. View the public register

A public register is available to view at the council's offices during normal office hours. To make an appointment to view the register, please contact the licensing team.

4. Redress information

Failed application and licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We advise you first contact the trader, preferably by letter with proof of delivery. If that hasn't worked and you are in the UK, Advice Direct will advise you. From outside the UK, contact UK European Consumer Centre.

The council operates a complaints procedure. View the complaints procedure or make a complaint relating to the service you have received.

Other redress

A police officer or officer of the City of Westminster may make a complaint to the City of Westminster Magistrates' Court if they feel that animals have been subject to cruelty.

Trade associations

Last updated: 9 September 2019