Non-medical poisons registration

To sell a range of chemicals including caustic soda, chemical toilet fluids, drain cleaners and some pesticides and weed killers from a premises within Westminster, the seller needs to be registered with Westminster City Council. The chemicals are listed in part II of the Poisons Act and are referred to as non-medicinal poisons.

A listed seller or named deputies who are registered with the authority cannot sell poisons which are included in part I of the Poisons Act . These may only be sold by a registered pharmacist.

1. How to apply

To register, please complete the application form and send it to the licensing team along with the correct fee (PDF, 503KB).

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible to register:

  • the premises selling the poison must have a member of staff to serve customers
  • poisons cannot be sold by vending machine
  • the premises that the application applies to must have suitable facilities for storing the poisons


View regulations relating to this registration

2. What happens next

The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • new applications and applicants who wish to have their applications retained on the list (renewals) or variations to existing registrations would need to pay a fee
  • we must deem the applicant and their premises fit to be included in the list of registered premises
  • we may authorise an officer to inspect a premises prior to, or after registration

Tacit consent

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the licensing authority within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service.

3. Further information

Trade associations

Chemical Business Association

View the public register

View the public register online

You can also view a copy of the register at the council's offices during normal office hours. To make an appointment to view it, please contact the Licensing team.

Making an appeal

View information on appeals and complaints

Last updated: 27 April 2017