Skip to main content

Flood information and help

Published: 3 June 2022

In the event that your home or business is flooded, follow advice on what to do from the Environment Agency.

Advice for residents

Getting support

You can call the council’s contact centre on 020 7641 6000 and state that you are affected by the flooding. Our staff will then be able to help you access the support you may need. Council teams can also advise on how to access insurance claims and can help follow-up with housing associations.

If you have adult social care or children’s social care needs, our teams will be in contact, but if they have not, please contact the council’s contact centre on 0207 641 6000 for support.

Housing tenants and leaseholders

If you are a Westminster Housing tenant or leaseholder and have an emergency issue with your property, please call 0800 358 3783. If you are calling out of hours, please press ‘1’ when instructed to be directed to a member of the team.


If you have insurance in place, you should contact your insurance provider as soon as possible to report any damage. Before throwing anything away, speak to your insurance company, and make sure you take photographs of any damage in line with your insurance company’s policies.

Disposing of waste

If you have furniture or other items affected by the flood that you wish to dispose of, our waste teams will be coming round to pick these up. Please make sure you identify anything that is not for waste collection so that these don’t get collected by mistake.

We are unable to clear floorboards, plasterboard, rubble sacks and similar ‘builders waste’ as these require separate disposal from ‘household waste’ items.

Water supply

If you have problems with your water supply, contact Thames Water on 0800 316 9800.


Advice for businesses

If you require support, please call the council’s contact centre on 020 7641 6000 and state that you are affected by the flooding.

If you operate a food premises and access bespoke support or assistance you are able to contact the City Council’s Food Safety Team at [email protected] or call us on 020 7641 1092.

There are a variety of websites and resources that businesses can access on how to recover from flooding:

Safety advice for businesses

You will need to do an initial clean and follow this by disinfecting all surfaces that were contaminated by floodwater. You can clean contaminated surfaces with a brush, hot water and household cleaning fluid. Don’t forget to clean enclosed spaces under kitchen units or floorboards. If floodwater was contaminated with oil or diesel, you’ll need to use a detergent such as washing-up liquid. Once you have finished cleaning, use disinfectant on everything that was in contact with floodwater. You will need to wash contaminated clothing and bedding at a high temperature.

For food-related businesses, there is important advice on the FSA website regarding dealing with food safety following a flood.

Electrical and gas safety is vitally important following flooding.

Before you start clearing up:

  • check that the electricity supply is switched off at the mains.
  • if you aren’t sure the electricity is turned off, get a qualified person to do this.
  • don’t touch sources of electricity while standing in floodwater get any electrical appliances that have come into contact with floodwater checked by a qualified electrician before using them again. if you use gas heating or gas appliances in your home, you'll need to get a Gas Safe-registered engineer to do an inspection after a flood.

The Electrical Safety First website offers more advice for dealing with the after effects of flooding.

Contacting your housing provider

All residents should make contact directly with their own Housing Provider first if they are experiencing difficulties with their accommodation.

Below are the contact details for the main housing association landlords operating in Westminster:


Housing Association contact information

Housing Association contact informationPDF, 129.54 KB, 2 pages