Special treatment premises licences

If you run an establishment for special treatments in the City of Westminster, you may require a licence for your premises issued by the council under the provisions of Schedule II of the London Local Authorities Act 1991.

Westminster City Council has classified special treatments as to their potential risk of harm to the customer special treatment practitioner.

View a list of bodies and health practitioners that are exempt under the London Local Authorities Act 1991/2000

1. How to apply

New special treatment premises licence Apply online
Renew your special treatment premises licence Apply online
Vary, transfer, change licensee details or surrender your special treatment premises licence Apply online
Statement of consent from the licensee to transfer template Download

Unlike postal applications you are not required to send copies of your application to the police or fire authority. 

View fees list

Find out more about applying by post

Eligibility criteria

The licensing authority may refuse to grant, renew or transfer a licence. Read the summary of the regulation relating to this licence to find out more. The council has established its requirements for new, renewal, transfer and variation applications. View the council's rules of procedure.

2. What happens next

Licences are subject to the council's standard conditions for massage and special treatment premises.

It is the licensee's responsibility to ensure that special treatment practitioners are sufficiently trained and qualified to administer special treatments on a licensed premises. Read the guidance document for more information

If you apply online, the relevant authorities will be automatically consulted. If you apply by post, you must inform them yourself. The authority will take into account any representations made by these authorities when determining your application.

If your application is unopposed or agreement is reached between a consultation authority and applicant over conditions or works, the licence will be granted.

If the application is opposed or conditions are not agreed, the application will be put before the Licensing Sub-Committee to determine the application. Information relating to the hearing will be sent to the applicant prior to the hearing date. 

Tacit consent

Tacit consent will not apply. It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the licensing authority within a reasonable period, please contact us. If you have applied online, get in touch through the UK Welcome service.

Making an appeal

View information on appeals and complaints

Trade associations

Last updated: 20 June 2018
Rate this page: