Our planning and licensing application system will be unavailable on Saturday 22 February and Sunday 23 February while we make upgrades. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Live music licence

Usually, to provide late-night refreshments, regulated entertainment or sell alcohol, you need to apply for a licence.

However, some live music performance activities generally don't require a licence including:

  • karaoke
  • entertainment in places of worship
  • Morris dancing (or similar)
  • ‘incidental’ music that supplements another activity
  • garden fetes, as long as it's not for private gain
  • live radio broadcasts
  • moving vehicles

If you have any questions about live music licences, contact the licensing team for advice.

Last updated: 23 September 2016