Listed building consent application form

Listed building consent is required for any works to a listed building that would affect its special architectural or historic interest.

This applies to all types of works and covers all parts of the building (interior and exterior), including for example, removing and installing new windows or partitions, constructing extensions, replacing skirting boards or removing decorative architectural detail. Work to attached buildings and certain surrounding buildings that form part of the curtilage may also need consent. Curtilage refers to an area of land around a listed building in which other buildings that were built before 1948 may be considered listed. Some buildings don't have curtilage, and some will be obvious such as the garden boundary. Sometimes it can be difficult to assess the curtilage and you should contact the Planning department for advice. 

It is a criminal offence to carry out works to a listed building without first obtaining consent from the council, even if you did not know that the building was listed.

Making an application

The quickest and easiest way to submit a planning application is online via the Planning Portal.

Apply online

Below are the checklists for the different variations of full planning permission and downloadable forms. If you aren't applying online, you will need to post this application to the address on the form.

More information

Read more about application forms and how to avoid delays with processing your application.

Last updated: 2 May 2018
Rate this page: