Skip to main content

How to apply for a Dangerous Wild Animals licence

Find out how to apply for a licence under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

Published on: 9 December 2020

Last updated: 15 January 2021

A licence issued by us is required to keep and house a dangerous wild animal under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

View a list of animals considered to be dangerous wild animals as specified by the Secretary of State in the act.


The number of animals along with the type that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.

We will require an authorised veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect the suitability of the premises before an application. Further inspections may be carried out at any point during the period the licence is in effect.