Skip to main content

Animal licence

Application form, fees and other information needed to apply for an animal licence.

Published: 15 January 2021

Last updated: 3 September 2021

Under the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018, those undertaking the following activities will need to be licensed under this regime:

  • Selling animals as pets
  • Providing or arranging for the provision of boarding for cats or dogs (including day care)
  • Hiring out horses
  • Breeding dogs
  • Keeping or training animals for exhibition

If you’d like to apply for a licence, please see the guidance notes and application forms below.

For information about the fees associated with different types of licences, please read the list below.


licensing_fees_list PDF, 478.99 KB, 38 pages


Zoos and Dangerous Wild Animals

Please note: Zoos and Dangerous Wild Animals will continue to be licensed under other existing legislation.

Please see below for further information and application details:

Guidance notes

There are different guidance notes depending on the type of licence you are applying for. Please ensure you select the correct one from the list below:


Guidance notes for boarding dogs PDF, 457.91 KB, 27 pages




Guidance notes for dog day care PDF, 447.65 KB, 26 pages


Procedural guidance PDF, 717.9 KB, 26 pages


Once you have read the guidance document(s), please download the Declaration form and the appropriate form below:

Please complete the appropriate form including the declaration form, and send it to us at [email protected]

Alternatively, you can return the completed form and appropriate licence form to:

Licensing Team,
Westminster City Council,
64 Victoria Street,