Premises licences | Westminster City Council Skip to main content

Premises licences

You need a licence if you are planning to sell or supply alcohol, late-night refreshments or regulated entertainment.

You need to apply for a premises licence if you wish to carry out any of the following licensable activities:

  • the sale or supply alcohol
  • the provision of late-night refreshment (hot food or drink sold between 11pm to 5am)
  • regulated entertainment

Licensable activities are governed by the Licensing Act 2003 which provides a clear focus on the promotion of four statutory objectives which must be addressed when licensing functions are undertaken:

  • prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

Each objective is of equal importance. 

A premises licence is required to use a premises for licensable activities. A club premises certificate is needed to allow a qualifying club to engage in qualifying club activities.

You can read more about premises licences at GOV.UK or look up an existing licence

Published: 18 January 2021

Last updated: 29 April 2022