Insurance claims

Please browse through the steps in this guide to find out more about making accident and insurance claims against the council.

1. Liability claims

Making a claim against the council

If you are a third party solicitor and wish to submit a new Employer's Liability (EL), Public Liability (PL) or Road Traffic Accident (RTA) claim against the council through the claims portal, the council's portal code is: G01066.

If you are a claimant in person and wish to make a liability claim against the council please submit a letter of claim to the council’s Insurance team at

Please do not send any correspondence to the council's Insurance Service by post until further notice as the team are currently working remotely, in line with GOV UK coronavirus guidance.

The information needed in a letter of claim is defined in law and should include the following information:

  • claimant’s name and address
  • claimant’s date of birth
  • claimant’s National Insurance number
  • details of the incident such as exact location and date and time it occurred
  • an indication of the injury or damage to property
  • a detailed explanation of how or why you feel the council has acted negligently
  • if you are making a highways claim, it will help if you complete a highways claim form.

If you are making a highways claim, it will help if you complete a highways claim form (DOC, 64KB)

If you are making a housing claim in relation to damage, it will help if you complete a housing claim form (PDF, 247KB)

Employer’s Liability and Public Liability TWIMC letter

2. Before making a claim

Before making a claim for compensation against the council please note the following:

  • everybody has the right to make a claim but the council will only give compensation if the council is legally at fault for the incident
  • for a personal injury claim, once the council has acknowledged your letter of claim, they have 40 business days from the date the letter of acknowledgement is sent to investigate the claim and either admit or deny liability. These timescales adhere to the current Ministry of Justice: Pre-action Protocols. All other claims such as property damage claims are handled in the spirit of these protocols
  • if you are insured privately for the damage or injury sustained, such as motor insurance, you may wish to report the claim to them. If covered they will settle your loss and then pursue recovery against the council on your behalf, reducing the administrative burden on you
  • fraudulent claims will be prosecuted and could result in imprisonment

Please include as much information as possible and include any photographs or maps of the location. It’s your responsibility to prove your loss against the council; vague or incomplete information or failure to identify the exact location of a slip or trip claim will prevent legitimate investigation and will result in your claim not being accepted as meeting the Ministry of Justice: Pre-action Protocols. The more information you provide the council, the easier it will be to investigate and reach a decision of liability.

Please note that failure to provide sufficient information in your letter will result in it not being considered a letter of claim.

3. Buildings insurance claims

The council is responsible for your building insurance and part of your service charge covers this cost.

Your building is insured under policy number 2020CP000109 with Avid Insurance Services Limited.

You must take all reasonable steps to minimise loss or damage to all insured property including keeping the buildings in a good condition and state of repair.

For full details on what the policy covers, excludes and other general information on excess and payment limits please read the Summary of Cover (PDF, 626KB).

How to make a claim

On the happening of an event, which could give rise to a claim under this policy, you shall immediately notify your insurer with particulars and proofs as may be reasonably required.

Claims must be notified within 28 days of the event in the case of damage caused by riot, civil commotion, strikes, labour disturbances or malicious persons, or as soon as reasonably possible in the case of all other claim.

If you wish to make a claim on your buildings insurance, please contact QuestGates Limited, claims administrators on behalf of Avid Insurance Services Ltd, quoting policy number 2020CP000109.

Claims are managed by QuestGates as our Insurers appointed agents. QuestGates are Chartered Loss Adjusters and Claims Handling specialists.

The most efficient way to submit a claim is via this link. This uploads the details of the claim together with any documents / photo’s / video’s you have of the damage via a secure network. The platform can be used at any time of day, 365 days a year. The average time to make a claim via this method is circa 6 minutes. QuestGates will contact you as soon as they can to progress the claim, once they have received it.

Alternatively, you can submit a claim via email to, or you can post it to: 

TPA Solutions, Questgates Limited, Benchmark House, Folds Point, Folds Road, Bolton, BL1 2RZ

If the matter is urgent please telephone them on 01204 860427, which is answered 24 hours a day.

Home contents insurance

We strongly recommend that you organise your own contents insurance to protect your belongings and to cover damage to your possessions. We do not insure your furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism or burst pipes.

Westminster City Council offers a home contents insurance policy specifically designed for tenants and leaseholders with Aviva Insurance.

More information about home contents insurance.

Commercial property insurance

If you are a Westminster commercial property leaseholder and wish to make a claim, please contact the council’s commercial property insurers, Protector Insurance, quoting policy ref 549801:

Telephone: 0161 274 9077
Email: c
Protector Insurance, 7th Floor, 3 Hardman Street, Manchester, M3 3HF 

4. Insurance team contact details

For all other queries relating to insurance claims, please contact the council’s insurance section:

Telephone:  07950883197; 07970944475; 07970944462; 07970944472; or 07714839767

Please note the shared Insurance Service between City of Westminster, Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, and London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham will remain a remote service for the foreseeable future to allow other services to make use of limited office space. Therefore, please do not send any correspondence to the council's Insurance Service by post until further notice as the team are currently working remotely in line with the Government coronavirus guidance. Updated 11 May 2020.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Last updated: 25 June 2020