Information on waste transfer notes

A waste transfer note is a document which identifies, among other things, the name and address of your waste collector.

The waste transfer note will have to provide 2 years of evidence of having a waste transfer agreement. The dates on the waste transfer note will need to cover up to and including the date of the notice.

If you are asked for a waste transfer note (WTN)  you must produce one within 7 days of receiving the request.

The WTN or copy of it will need to be sent to the officer who wrote to you, via their email address or by post:

Name of Officer
Public Protection and Licensing - City Inspectors
15th Floor City Hall
64 Victoria Street
London SW1E 6QP

Legal duties for businesses

Businesses are under a legal duty to have arrangements in place for the collection of the waste they produce. It can be collected by a registered waste carrier of your choice or by the council.

You are legally obliged to produce the waste transfer note or a copy of it upon request. The council, as the enforcement authority, would like to know who collects your waste and can issue requests for the waste transfer note or copy of it.

How to find a registered waste carrier

You can get the details of registered waste carriers here. They can collect and store your waste.

You can also contact the Westminster City Council commercial waste team who can provide details of the Council’s waste collection service.

How to get a waste transfer note

You will need to contact your registered waste carrier and request a copy of your waste transfer note. You are legally obligated to keep the waste transfer note or a copy of it for a period of 2 years.

Read the steps to take if you receive a notice of a waste transfer note.

Waste collection issues

I buy bags from Westminster Council

We do not automatically issue a waste transfer note when bags are purchased. You will need to request a waste transfer note from the Commercial Waste team.

The council issues my waste transfer note

Under the Data Protection Act 1998, information can only be used for the purpose it was given. This means that this information can only be accessed by the Commercial Waste Department as they issued you with the waste transfer note.

If you receive a request from another department within the council to provide copies of your waste transfer note, it is necessary for you to ensure that you send the waste transfer note or a copy of it to the department who requested it.

I have a small business and do not provide waste

There is a legal duty on any one who imports, produces, carries, keeps treats or disposes of controlled waste or as a dealer or broker has control of such waste. If your business falls within one of these categories then it must have a waste transfer note.

I bring my business waste home

Business waste cannot be deposed of in residential bins. Your business is legally obligated to have a registered waste carrier.

My waste is taken to a waste depot

You will need to provide the requesting department with tonnage charge receipts for the past 12 months.

My business is located in a managed block

You will need to contact your landlord/letting agency and get a copy of your waste transfer note and send to the requesting department of the council.

Please ensure you provide a covering letter explaining that the enclosed waste transfer note covers your business, although it shows the name of the Landlord or letting agency.


It is an offence to fail to comply with a request to produce the waste transfer note or a copy of it.

A person found guilty can be charged up to £5,000 if found guilty on summary conviction or an unlimited fine if found guilty on conviction on indictment.

The amount of a fixed penalty is £180 if paid within 10 days from the date of issue and £300 if it is not paid within 14 days of issue.

Last updated: 10 April 2019