Information for carers

Are you a carer?

If you provide regular help with activities such as taking medicine, washing or dressing someone either in your home or theirs, you are considered to be a carer.

Recognising that you are a carer is the first step to getting the support you need. 

There is lots of support available for carers to help meet the challenges of this role: 

The Care Act

From April 2015 all carers will be able to ask for support to help make caring easier. This could be:

  • advice and information to help you in your role as an unpaid carer
  • practical support such as arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break
  • a personal budget to spend on things that will help you to carry on caring
  • psychological support
  • a carers emergency card
  • free activities
  • Home Library Service

See our guide to services for carers for more information.


You may be entitled to an assessment if you care for someone and it has an impact on your wellbeing. Currently, your assessment can be face to face or by telephone.

The assessment will determine the level of support you receive and you will be involved in planning it. 

Contact Carers Network

To find out about all these services please contact Carers Network who provide information, advice and care services on behalf of the council.

Help for young carers

If you are 5 to 19 years old and care for a family member with a long-term illness or disability, Westminster council can give you:

  • advice 
  • information about other services that can help
  • one-to-one support if you have a high level of need

Contact us or ask someone you know to contact us for you - a friend or relative, a teacher, or your family doctor. 

Children’s and Families’ Assessment Team  
Telephone: 020 7641 4000

Stay in touch - sign up for our newsletter

You can sign up to our newsletter, Caring For You, to stay up-to-date with the latest offers, discounts, events and information for carers in Westminster. To sign up, email:

Essential guide to services for carers

Learn about services and support, discounts and local leisure facilities - download our guide for carers.

Adult social care survey

The Department of Health has asked councils with adult social services responsibilities to survey those who receive adult social care services or support. The person you care for may receive a letter from the council asking them to participate in this national survey from mid-January 2016. Their views will be used to improve services.

For more information, please visit the People First website, call 0800 587 0072 (free from landlines) or 020 7361 2552, or email

Last updated: 24 May 2016
Rate this page: