Skip to main content

Building safety programme

Read the steps you must take to ensure your building is safe and compliant with government regulations.

Published: 30 December 2020

Last updated: 20 April 2021

Following the Grenfell Tower tragedy, the government established the Building Safety Programme to make sure that Aluminium Composite Material (ACM) cladding is removed from high rise buildings across the country to ensure the safety of residents.

As part of this programme, building owners and tenants must take steps to make sure their properties are safe.

This type of cladding has been identified on some private residential buildings in Westminster and we have been working closely with the London Fire Brigade and building owners to put interim measures in place to make sure all buildings in Westminster remain safe.

We are contacting all residents and building owners to help them understand the steps they must take to ensure their buildings are safe and compliant with government regulations.

Immediate safety

Immediate safety of residents is our utmost priority, and we have been working closely with London Fire Brigade and building owners to make sure that all buildings are safe.

London Fire Brigade have inspected all high-rise buildings in Westminster with ACM cladding to ensure that satisfactory interim measures are in place.

Government regulations

The London Fire Brigade (LFB) are responsible for enforcing the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 which relates to the common parts of a building.

The LFB seek to ensure that the building owner has undertaken an adequate fire risk assessment which has the necessary risk reduction actions taken (for example a fire alarm).

We are responsible for the enforcement for residential buildings, including interior of dwellings and building cladding, under the Housing Act 2004.


The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) announced in May 2019 that a fund of approximately £200 million will be made available to remove and replace unsafe cladding on privately owned buildings across the country.

We would encourage all affected property owners to apply for a share of this money.


We will work with residents and property owners to ensure they get the support and advice they need to help them remove cladding and comply with all regulations.

If you would like advice on your building, please email us at [email protected]

Data collection

The government have asked us to carry out a survey of external walls on all residential buildings of 18 metres and higher. This focuses on social residential buildings, private residential buildings, student accommodation buildings and hotels.

If you are an owner or appointed property manager and we have written to you to complete such a questionnaire please complete this as soon as possible and return it via email to [email protected] 

Copies of the relevant documents can be found below:

Questionnaire (docx)




Building safety fund for non-ACM buildings requiring remediation

The government have announced a £1 billion building safety fund for unsafe non-ACM (Aluminium Composite Material) cladding, on residential buildings of 18 metres and over that do not comply with building regulations.

The government have released further guidance and is requesting potential applicants to register for the fund, in advance of the full application process opening by the end of July 2020.

Waking Watch Relief Fund

A Waking Watch Relief Fund (WWRF) was recently announced. The Fund will cover the upfront capital costs of installing a fire alarm system for buildings that currently have a 24 hour monitoring system (waking watch) in place.

The Greater London Authority (GLA) is administering the WWRF on the Government’s behalf for buildings in London.  All decisions regarding the scope and design of the Fund and approvals of applications are carried out by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).

Understandably, the swift remediation of unsafe cladding remains the urgent priority. Premises that are in the process of remediating their building may apply for the WWRF in the interim. It is emphasised that this should not be considered as a substitute or reason for delay.

The deadline for completed applications to be submitted on the GLA’s application portal is 11.59pm on Friday 30 April.

Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit applications as early as possible. If the Fund is oversubscribed, applications will be approved by MHCLG on a ‘first come first served’ basis.

Applications and further guidance can be found on the GLA’s application portal.