Finding a place to live

Living with friends

Moving out of home for the first time is daunting, with no mum or dad to turn to when you need advice, or to chat to after work or college.

You may find it is easier to make the break into independence if you get a place with your friends. Not only is this usually cheaper, but there will always be someone around while you are learning how to manage on your own.

Or think about finding a room to rent in an existing flat share. You can make a whole new group of friends this way, while gaining your freedom! Check out the section on Private rented accommodation for hints and tips.

Under 18?

You cannot become a tenant in a property until you are at least 18 years old. If you are under 18 you may be able to live in rented accommodation as a licencee.

Housing Benefit

Your age also affects the amount of Housing Benefit that you might be entitled to. If you are aged 16 or 17 and have recently left local authority care, you may not entitled to any Housing Benefit. If you are single and aged under 25, you will be entitled to a reduced rate equivalent to renting a room in a shared house only.

Full time students

Generally, full time students are not entitled to Housing Benefit, however there are exceptions. For example, students who are lone parents may still qualify for full Housing Benefit. Find out more.


If you think you might become homeless, it is really important that you register for housing advice. We will do what we can to try and prevent you from losing your home. What to do if you think you might become homeless

More information

You can find loads of useful information about housing and all sorts of other things for young people at National Youth Agency.

Last updated 12 October 2018

Help us improve

Assist us with improving this page by providing feedback. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your contact details or credit card number. We are unable to provide responses via this form.

Read our data protection notice to learn about how the council complies with data protection laws when processing your data.