We’re launching a new website very soon. View the new site while it's still under construction.

Find out more about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a national welfare benefit that helps people on low income, or other state benefits, meet their rent costs.

Housing Benefit can help you meet the cost of your rent. You may qualify for benefit if you are on low income and your savings (joint savings if you have a partner) are £16,000 or less.

Housing Benefit changed from 1 April 2013 for people who rent from a social sector landlord. Find out more about the Housing Benefit change

A cap will be put on the total amount of benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can get. Find out more about the ‘benefit cap’

Council Tax Support (formerly Council Tax Benefit)

From 1 April 2013 Council Tax benefit changed to Council Tax Support. In Westminster there are no changes to the way you receive your payment.

Read more information on Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support could help pay towards some, or all, of your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income, even if you own your own home. The maximum amount of Council Tax support payable is 100% of the charge. The amount you will get will depend on your individual circumstances. This will include your age and whether you live alone. Your Council Tax support will normally be deducted from the Council Tax bill that we send you.

Making a claim

You can get more information about Housing Benefit and Council Tax support by visiting GOV.UK. If you make a claim for Pension Credit, Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance you will be invited to also claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

Both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support are means tested benefits. When we work out how much benefit you are entitled to receive we have to take into account things like your income, capital, any savings or investments that you have and any other people that live with you.

Read our guide to Housing Benefit and Council Tax

Last updated: 11 March 2020