Home electrical safety

Every year on average 10 people die and about 750 are seriously injured in accidents involving unsafe home electrical installations.

All new electrical wiring or electrical components for a house, flat or small commercial premise linked to domestic accommodation must be designed and installed in line with Part P of the Building Regulations.

Not all electrical works are notifiable, but where the work consists of the installation of a new circuit, the replacement of a consumer unit, or the addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location (eg a bathroom or shower room) it must be notified in one of 3 ways:

  1. Use an electrician who is a member of a registered competent person’s scheme and therefore experienced and qualified to certify their own work and provide the owner with a certificate of compliance.
  2. Use an electrician who uses a registered 3rd-party certifier to inspect and test their installation and provide a compliance certificate to the owner.
  3. An electrician’s work can be inspected by building control but a registered 3rd-party certifier will be used by building control to inspect, test and certify. There will be an additional charge for this.

Further technical information can be found in the Approved Document to Part P.

Last updated: 30 November 2016
Rate this page: