As a food businesses, you can make a significant contribution to improving your customers’ diet and health by making a few simple changes in how you prepare and cook your food.
The Healthier Catering Commitment recognises those businesses in London that demonstrate a commitment to reducing the level of saturated fat and salt content in their foods, offering some healthy options (for example, lower sugar drinks and snacks) and making smaller portions available on request.
This scheme is run by Westminster City Council in partnership with the Greater London Authority, the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health, My Time Active and supported by the Mayor of London.
All catering establishments can apply including fast food outlets, sandwich bars, cafes, restaurants and leisure centres. Businesses must have a food hygiene rating score of 3 or above.
What is involved
To use the Healthier Catering Commitment logo, a business must achieve 8 criteria including 4 essential criteria (plus a further 3 for those who deep fry food). They are all designed to be simple to operate. The criteria cover the main areas:
- healthier frying
- reducing salt
- reducing sugar
- health promotion
- reducing portion size / providing child size portions
Consumers are becoming a lot more aware of healthier eating. Taking part in the Healthier Catering Commitment Scheme could increase both your customer satisfaction and your sales.
Businesses that achieve the award will receive recognition on the Westminster City Council's website and in local publications. You will be given a certificate and a window sticker to promote your award on your premises. You will also receive free nutritional advice from a qualified nutritionist.
Mark Douglas, Chief Operations Manager of the award-winning LHA London, said: "We were delighted to receive this award as it shows the residents of our catered hostels that we care about their diet. "Westminster City Council was able to give us simple and practical help to increase the health content of our food. "We surveyed our guests after the dietary changes and satisfaction has only increased. "We want our guests to be as happy and healthy as possible, and by providing and promoting healthier options we can achieve both.”
How to apply
To apply for the scheme, please email email@example.com or phone 020 7641 8596.
Current award holders
- Pakhtoon - 7 Edgware Road, W2 2ER
- Marble Arch News - 24 New Quebec Street, W1H 7SF
- Perfection Chicken And Pizza (CPC @494) - 494 Harrow Road, W9 3QA
- Yaa Flamingo - 1 Chippenham Mews, W9 2AN
- Les Douceurs De La Tentation - Ground Floor, 8 Fernhead Road, W9 3ET
- Tothelo - Basement And Ground Floor, 2 Norfolk Place, W2 1QN
- Little Venice Fish Bar - 264 Harrow Road, W2 5ES
- Da Daniela Italian Canteen - Ground Floor, 60 Porchester Road, W2 6ET
- Hafez - Ground Floor, 5 Hereford Road, W2 4AB
- Flavors Of India - Basement And Ground Floor, 46 Gloucester Terrace, W2 3HH
- Lolita Sandwich Bar - 21 Spring Street, W2 1JA
- Sandro's Sandwich Bar - 22 Spring Street, W2 1JA
- Munch Thoughtful Catering (Marylebone Project) - Bradbury House,1-5 Cosway Street, NW1 5NR
- Zonzo - 342 Edgware Road, W2 1EA
- Poncho 8 - 12 Sheldon Square, W2 6DQ
- Roof top Kitchen - Roof Top Unit T001, Alfies Antique Market, 13-25 Church Street, NW8 8DT
- Sindian Grill House - Ground Floor Rear, 73 Fernhead Road, W9 3EY
- Village Organic Bakery, 43-45 Porchester Road, W2 5DP
- Cinnamon Spice, 12 - 14 Glenworth Street, NW1 5PG
- Ahl Cairo, 13 Bell Street, London, NW1 5BY
- Moment Bakery, 12 Blenheim Street, NW8 0EB
- Kentucky Fried Chicken, 149 Praed Street, W2 1RL
- Sheila's Takeaway, 24 A Craven Terrace, W2 3QH
- San Marco, 10 London Street, W2 1HL
- Mosob Restaurant, 339 Harrow Road, W9 3RB
- Chicken Valley, 330 Harrow Road, W9 2HB
- Le Maison du Gateau, 367 Harrow Road, W9 2NA
- Crystal Fish Bar, 407 Harrow Road, W9 3NF
- Benugo Serpentine Bar & Kitchen, Hyde Park, W2 2UH
- Benugo, St James Park, SW1A 2BJ
- The Regent's Bar & Kitchen, Regents Park, NW1 4RX
- Elior Westminster Staff Canteen, 64 Victoria Street, SW1E 6QP
- London Hostel Association (LHA) - Holland House, 53 Eccleston Square, SW1V 1PG
- LHA New Mansion House, 39 Lancaster Gate, W2 3NA
- LHA Sandeman - Allen, 40 Inverness Terrace, W2 3JB
- Sam's Chicken, 359 Harrow Road, London, W9 3NA