Health complaints

Health service providers aim to deliver the best possible care for their patients. However, sometimes things do not go according to plan. This webpage offers guidance for people who wish to make a complaint.

GPs, Dentists, Pharmacies and Opticians

If you want to complain about a GP, dentist, pharmacy or optician, in the first instance you ought to contact the practice manager directly and let them know of your concerns.

If you have a complaint that can’t be resolved locally, please contact NHS England at

You can also reach NHS England on 0300 311 22 33.

Hospital, mental health or community trusts

If you have any comment or complaint about a hospital, mental health or community trust, please contact them through their PALS department.

Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs)

Clinical Commissioning Groups are new organisations responsible for buying health services from Hospital Trusts, Mental Health Trusts and community organisations. They are made up of local GPs and health professionals.

Westminster is served by the following CCGs. Please click on the links to access their complaints information:

Central London Clinical Commissioning Group

West London Clinical Commissioning Group

Westminster City Council Public Health

The council is now responsible for services including:

  • sexual health services
  • drug and alcohol treatment services
  • health checks for 40 to 74-year-olds
  • school nursing programmes
  • giving up smoking services
  • services to prevent childhood obesity including the national child measurement programme

More information about the Council’s complaints process is available here.

NHS Complaints Advocacy

NHS Complaints Advocacy is a free and independent service that can help you make a complaint about a National Health Service (NHS).

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

If you’re not happy with the results of your complaint, you could continue to work on the issue with the NHS service concerned until you get a resolution that is favourable to you.

If you’re still not satisfied, you can take your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will investigate your complaint and work to put things right where they can and share lessons learned to improve NHS services.

Last updated: 9 May 2018