Gambling premises licences

You need to have a licence from the council to operate gambling establishments such as:

  • bingo halls
  • betting tracks
  • betting shops
  • adult gaming centres
  • family entertainment centres
  • casinos (although The Gambling Act 2005 prevents the council from accepting any new applications for casino licences

1. How to apply

Apply for a premises licence if you have the right to occupy your premises and you have a valid operating licence.

Apply for a provisional statement if your premises still needs to be built, needs major alterations, or you do not have the right to occupy it.

You must be over 18 and hold, or have applied for, an operator's licence from the Gambling Commission.

For boats and ships etc, you will need to apply for either a new premises licence (for vessels) or a provisional statement (for vessels).

New applications, provisional statements and variations to change the layout of an existing premises must:

  • include any plans for licence change with the application
  • serve notice of their application to each responsible authority
  • publicly advertise the application by clearly displaying a public notice on the premises for 28 days (if the premises has a frontage of more than 50 metres a notice must be displayed every 50 metres around the premises)
  • include the correct fee (PDF, 503KB)

Completed applications should be sent to the licensing team.

The council has established a pool of model conditions for gambling premises licences to enable gambling operators to select conditions that may address specific concerns raised by local residents, local businesses and responsible authorities. These model conditions have been put together with the mandatory and default conditions for gambling premises, so that there is one document that can be used for considering conditions on these licences. This document will be updated occasionally as necessary when legislative changes or amendments are made to the pool of gambling mode conditions.  

2. Further information and advice

Visit the Gambling Commisson for information on gambling licences and regulation including equal chance gaming such as mah-jong or poker, gaming machines, arcades and lotteries.

If you require further advice or guidance on gambling applications, please contact the licensing team. 

View information on licensing appeals and complaints

Gambling Research

Research exploring area-based vulnerability to gambling-related harm.

Last updated: 27 April 2017
Rate this page: