Find a Grant

There are a number of schemes available to help with the costs of having energy-saving improvements installed in your home:

Westminster Grants

Decent Homes Grants

To meet the Decent Homes standard all of the following four criteria must be met:

  • there are no serious hazards in the home which may cause harm to the resident or any visitors;
  • the home is in a reasonable state of repair;
  • it has reasonable modern facilities and services;
  • it provides reasonable and efficient heating and insulation.

Grants of up to £8,000 are available to fund any measures to bring your home up to this standard.

To qualify you need to satisfy one of the three options below:

  • anyone aged 18 or over who is a freeholder, or a leaseholder or private tenant with full repairing obligation and is in receipt of a means tested benefit; or
  • a private landlord of a home occupied by a tenant who is over 60 and receiving a means tested benefit; or
  • a private landlord of a home, in the Queens Park or Harrow Road Wards, occupied by a tenant who is receiving a means tested benefit.


Loft Insulation/draught proofing grants

If you are a private sector tenant and need loft insulation or draught proofing in your home and you live in either the Queens Park or Harrow Road wards you may be eligible for a grant to cover the cost of loft insulation and draught proofing.  For more information please contact 020 7641 8959 for further advice and information.

Emergency works for heating

  • Has your heating or hot water system broken down?
  • Do you own your property or are you a private tenant with full repairing responsibility?
  • Are you aged over 60 or do you have a child under 16 who lives with you?
  • Do you receive one or more means tested benefits or are you on a low income?

If you can answer yes to all these four questions you may be eligible for help with the cost of repairs to your heating or hot water system.

To find out more please contact Westminster Home Improvement Agency on 020 7641 8959.

Energy Company Obligation (ECO)

Some householders in older properties and those on benefits or low incomes may qualify for extra financial assistance through the Energy Company Obligation (ECO). This is a new scheme, funded by energy suppliers, to help reduce Britain’s energy consumption. The improvements which can be installed using ECO funding include heating improvements, loft and cavity wall insulation and solid wall insulation.

Feed-in Tariffs

Feed in Tariffs (FiTs) were introduced on 1 April 2010 to encourage the use of small scale electricity generation from renewable energy to meet the Government’s renewable energy targets.  Technologies which qualify for FiTs are small-scale electricity generation systems including solar photovoltaic (PV) and micro-CHP. Individuals, communities, organisations and businesses can receive FiTs.

The owner of the system can be paid for the electricity produced and the excess exported to the grid, you will also save money as you don't have to buy as much electricity from your supplier. 
More information about Feed-in Tariffs can be found on the Energy Saving Trust’s website.

Renewable Heat Premium Payment (RHPP)

The Renewable Heat Premium Payment (RHPP) is a one-off grant to households to help towards the cost of installing renewable technologies in your home, such as heat pumps, wood boilers or solar water heating. The RHPP is in its second phase which has been extended and runs from 1 April 2013 to 31 March 2014, subject to available funding. 

This scheme is managed by the Energy Saving Trust, on behalf of DECC. To apply for the RHPP call 0300 123 1234 or visit the Energy Saving Trust.

Last updated: 20 February 2017
Rate this page: