Information regarding the UK leaving the EU

Westminster is an incredibly diverse city and we pride ourselves on the fact that people from all over the globe choose to make Westminster their home.
If you're one of the 30,000 EU citizens living in Westminster and you're worried about your rights after Brexit, help is at hand. We want to support you to continue to live here, work here and feel welcome here. 

Government advice

The UK government has reached an agreement with the European Union on citizens’ rights. This agreement will protect your rights after the UK leaves the European Union and enable you apply for settled status.

Visit GOV.UK to find out more about your rights, whether you qualify for settled status and a step-by-step guide to help you through the application process.

Dedicated Westminster residents advice service and helpline

An advice service and helpline has been set up to help EU nationals living in Westminster who are worried about their status in the run up to Brexit. Westminster City Council is working with Citizens Advice Westminster and the Migrants Resource Centre to ensure you get the best advice.

Call 0300 330 9011 (open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11am to 2pm).

Other advice for residents and businesses

There’s lots of places where residents and businesses can get the most up to date advice. The government's official source for a wide-range of information for residents and businesses about the UK leaving the EU (also known as Brexit) is Prepare for EU ExitThe GLA has also set up an EU Londoner's Hub which has a list of Q&As and details of support organisations

Continue to live in the UK after it leaves the EU

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the government’s EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status. The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. You may be able to stay in the UK without applying - for example, if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain. The EU Settlement Scheme is open and you can apply now if you meet the criteria and you’re in the UK.

Find out more about the EU Settlement Scheme and how to apply

Westminster City Council also offers a service to scan and verify identity documents for your EU Settlement Scheme application.

Find out more about our identity document scanning service

The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.

Employing EU citizens

If you employ any EU citizens you can support your employees through their application for settled status using the guide for employers with EU staff on GOV.UK.

Last updated: 30 May 2019