Go back

Parents and carers

As a parent or carer, starting or returning to learning or working requires a lot of planning, such as childcare decisions and costs, school meals and benefit entitlement.

Face to face employment support tailored for parents is available from the council. There is also lots of information available online.  

If you are a parent or carer of children and young people aged up to 19 (up to 25 years for those with additional needs) Westminster Family Information Service offers free, impartial information service with information on childcare options, free childcare places, SEND and more.


1. Single parents

Employment support tailored for single parents is available from the council online and face to face.

A helpline and employment advice and support Is also available from Gingerbread, the national charity for single parent mothers and fathers.

2. Childcare

Westminster Family Information Service has information on how to find suitable childcare and help with costs.


3. Balancing caring with work and education

If you are starting or returning to work or learning as a carer there is advice available on balancing caring responsibilities, including your rights at work.

4. Parental leave

As a parent or carer, and dependent on your status, you may be eligible to apply for particular types of leave from work.

For example, some types of leave can cover periods when your child or the person you are caring for is unexpectedly unwell or other emergencies. PeopleFirst has more information on parental leave and how to take it.

5. Family Information Service

Westminster Family Information Service (FIS) is a free, impartial information service for parents and carers of children and young people aged up to 19 (up to 25 years for those with additional needs).


Last updated 10 April 2017
Rate this page: 

Need employment support?

We are providing free help to unemployed residents who need help training for and finding a job.

Find out more