Educational psychology

Every school has the support of an Educational Psychologist - a specialist on how children and young people develop and learn. They offer assessment, advice and support to parents and teachers where there is a concern about the development, learning or behaviour of children and young people. Educational Psychologists only work with young children with a parent/carer's agreement.

If parents are concerned that their child may have special educational needs they should start by speaking to the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) at the school or early years setting. The school or setting will be able to intervene and monitor the child’s progress. If the difficulties persist the SENCo, with parental permission, will request help from the Educational Psychology Service. If a parent of a child under three is concerned, a discussion with the Health Visitor or Doctor would be advisable.

Educational Psychologists usually work with children in the school or early years setting they attend. They do this in a number of ways, which may include:

• discussing them with their parents, teachers and others who know them well

• observing the child in their classroom or playground

• reviewing the work they have been doing in class

• speaking to the child

• testing to check on the child's skills and/or intellectual development

They will work out a plan with the school or setting and parents, and see how the child responds. Education Psychologists can work with parents to improve their child's development and learning.

School is usually the best place to start a discussion about whether your child may have special educational needs. They will explain the procedures and any action needed. School will be able explain the help they are able to offer to children with special needs.

Contact Samar Habal for more information.


Last updated: 19 May 2016