National lockdown: Stay at Home restrictions. More information.

Drug and alcohol addiction: local help

If you or a family member are affected by the misuse of drugs and alcohol, there are services in Westminster that provide advice, assessment, referral to treatments, and support.

1. Talk to your GP

The NHS website provides advice on alcohol and drug use.

You can also talk to your GP who will:

  • discuss your concerns
  • assess the nature of your problems
  • help you choose the most appropriate treatment
  • refer you to another service if they are better placed to help you

2. Support in your area

There are many organisations offering support to people in Westminster.

Drug and Alcohol Wellbeing Service offer advice and support for substance misuse in people aged 18 or older.

Contact them on 0330 303 8080 or

The Alcohol service offers advice and support to anyone aged 18 or older with issues around alcohol misuse.

Contact them on 0800 014 7440 or

The Club Drug Clinic is an innovative service for adult clubbers and LGBT people who have developed problems with a range of `club drugs'.

The Invisible Elephant provides a wealth of information and advice, with details of local support groups and services.

Samaritans provides confidential non-judgemental support, 24 hours a day - phone 08457 90 90 90.

Insight Westminster offers a free, friendly and confidential support service to young people in Westminster aged between 12 and 18 with or affected by drug or alcohol issues. The service is available to young people living or attending schools within Westminster.

3. General information on drugs and alcohol

Visit the People First website for detailed information on drugs and alcohol and other relevant services within Westminster and surrounding areas.

Alcohol use

Alcoholics Anonymous allows people who have problems with alcohol use to support each other. Call their helpline on 0845 769 7555 to find your local support group.

Drinkaware is a national independent charity offering tips on reducing alcohol consumption and drinking sensibly.

Alcohol Concern is an independent charity committed to reducing harm from alcohol-related problems.

London Friend provide support for substance and alcohol misuse specifically tailored to LGBT people.

Easy Health has various easy-read leaflets to help people with learning disabilities to understand more about the effects of alcohol.

Al-Anon provides support to anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else's drinking, regardless of whether that person is still drinking or not.

Drug use

FRANK provides confidential advice on all aspects of drug use for young people and their carers, and includes a live chat service.

Narcotics Anonymous is for recovering addicts who meet regularly to help each other stay clean.

Cocaine Anonymous is for people to share their experiences to help others recover from their addiction.

Last updated 27 February 2020

Help us improve

Assist us with improving this page by providing feedback. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your contact details or credit card number. We are unable to provide responses via this form.

Read our data protection notice to learn about how the council complies with data protection laws when processing your data.