Dangerous wild animals licence

A licence issued by us is required to keep and house a dangerous wild animal under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. The number of animals along with the type that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.

View a list of animals considered to be dangerous wild animals as specified by the Secretary of State in the act.

We will require an authorised veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect premises before an application is determined to establish whether the applicant and premises are suitable. Further inspections may also be carried out at any point during the period in which that licence is in effect.

View contact details for the licensing team

1. How to apply

To apply, please download the application form and send the completed version and correct fee (PDF, 503KB) to the licensing team.

Eligibility criteria

2. What happens next

The period of validity of this licence is a maximum of two calendar years starting from the date the licence is granted. It is the licensee's responsibility to renew the licence before it expires.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply to this licence. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service.

3. View the public register

A public register is available to view at the council's offices during normal office hours. To make an appointment to view the register, please contact the licensing team.

4. Redress information

Failed application and licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance. If you wish to appeal against our decision, you may do so to the local Magistrates' Court. Appeals must be made within 21 days of the date you received notification of the decision. Magistrates' court decisions can be appealed to the Crown Court.

Consumer complaint

We advise you first contact the trader, preferably by letter with proof of delivery. If that hasn't worked and you are in the UK, Advice Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact UK European Consumer Centre.

The council operates a complaints procedure. View the complaints procedure or make a complaint relating to the service you have received.

Trade associations

Last updated: 27 April 2017