Skip to main content

This is a new website - we welcome your feedback to help us improve it.

Find out more about the Council Tax

View details on late payment, debt enforcement, Council Tax appeals, stopping Council Tax support and other changes.

Published: 31 March 2021

Last updated: 10 May 2021

Bill changes

Your bill could have changed for many reasons. If you are unsure please contact our call centre on 0343 178 2743.

Landlord payment

Although your landlord is paying the Council Tax, if your tenancy is 6 months or more, you will remain on our records as the responsible person to pay. The onus will be on you to ensure your landlord pays in accordance with the installment arrangement.

Late payment

You will receive a reminder for the first late installment. If you want to carry on paying by installment, you must pay the amount shown on the reminder within 7 days. If you do not pay this amount within 7 days, you will lose your right to pay by instalments and you will have to pay the full balance of your Council Tax after a further 7 days.

If we cancel your installments because you have not paid on time, we will apply to the court for a summons to be issued against you.

We understand that you may not be able to make payment in full. You should contact our office immediately via:

You will have to make an amended arrangement before the account is summonsed as you may incur costs.

The Council may send you a message by text, voicemail and/or email, to remind you that you have missed a Council Tax payment. Repeating this message will make it easier for payers to keep the option to pay in instalments. Late payment of your Council Tax could result in the right to continue to pay by instalments being cancelled and additional costs being added to your account.

Make a payment

Online payment history

Register for an online account to view your payment history, make payments and more.

Changing your payment

You can amend the payments by contacting the Council Tax offices. If you pay via direct debit you can only have payment dates on the 1st, 10th, 15th or 25th of the month.

Debt enforcement

The Council uses four Debt Enforcement companies. If you receive a letter or a visit you can find details of how to make a payment, details of fees and charges, debt advice and general information about bailiff standards by clicking on the relevant links below:

Stopping Council Tax support

You will need to contact the Council Tax Support office directly on 0800 072 0042 to see why your entitlement has changed or stopped.

Putting your account on hold

You will need to provide us with your account reference number. It is important that you keep in touch with us to advise us of the progress of your claim.


You may appeal if you think you are not liable to pay the Council Tax, for example, if you are not the resident or owner, or because your property is exempt. You may also appeal if you believe we made a mistake when we worked out the amount you should pay or the level of Council Tax support we have applied to your account. If you want to appeal, you must first write to us at the address on the front of your bill. We will respond within 2 months. If you are not satisfied, you may appeal within 2 months of our decision. If we do not reply then after 4 months from you first writing to us you can appeal direct to the Valuation Tribunal.  If you appeal, you will still have to pay your Council Tax until a decision is made. If your appeal succeeds, we’ll refund any extra Council Tax you have paid.

For Council Tax appeals contact the Valuation Tribunal:

For Council Tax support appeals contact the Valuation Tribunal Service:

If your circumstances change

It is important you advise the City Council of any changes in circumstances affecting your Council Tax liability.

The following are examples of changes of circumstances affecting your liability:

The City Council will re-calculate your liability and re-issue you with an amended bill. If the change of circumstance results in your Council Tax liability being overpaid, the City Council will issue you with a credit bill and a refund request form.

If you vacate your property it is important that you provide the City Council with a forwarding address, so we can forward your credit bill and refund request form to the correct address.

Advice agencies

Advice Agencies offer free, confidential and independent advice.

Age UK Westminster

Citizens Advice / Westminster CAB

  • website
  • telephone 0300 330 1191
  • CAB National Adviceline 0800 144 8848