Skip to main content

Council Tax discounts and exemptions

Find out about different types of discounts and exemptions, and how you can apply for them.

Please be aware that making an application for a discount or exemption is not grounds for non-payment of Council Tax.

Payment must be made in accordance with the bill already issued until you have received confirmation that the exemption has been granted.

Your household circumstances determine whether a discount or exemption may be claimed:

  • A 25% Council Tax discount can be claimed if only one adult lives in the household You can only claim 25% discount on your sole or main residence.
  • A 25% Council Tax discount can be claimed if one adult lives in a household where everyone else is disregarded for Council Tax purposes.
  • A 50% Council Tax discount applies if everyone in the household are disregarded for Council Tax purposes.
  • A 100% exemption applies if your household is an exempt category of household (see below) and there is no Council Tax to be paid.

If two or more adults who are not disregarded live in a property, there is no discount.

A discount or exemption must be claimed. You must continue to pay Council Tax in accordance with your bill until your claim has been determined. Failure to do so may result in recovery action which could incur costs. If we advise you that we will not grant a discount or exemption after you have provided with all the necessary information, you can appeal the decision at the Valuation Tribunal.

People who may be disregarded for Council Tax purposes:

  • Apprentices
  • Youth-training trainees
  • Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • Carer of someone with a disability who is not their husband, wife, partner or child under 18
  • Persons for which child benefit is paid
  • Severely mentally impaired
  • 18- and 19- year olds who are at or have only just left school
  • Full time students with a certificate from their place of study
  • Student nurses
  • Visiting service personnel
  • Diplomats and members of certain international organisations
  • People in hostels or night shelters
  • Members of religious communities, for example monks and nuns

Exempt categories of households (occupied properties that are exempt from Council Tax):

  • Student Halls of resident
  • Households of full time students all of whom have a valid certificate from their place of study
  • Occupied only by people who are severely mentally impaired
  • Occupied only by members of the armed forces
  • Occupied only by people who are under 18  
  • Properties used for charitable purposes (up to six months)
  • Annex occupied by a dependent relative (a non dependent relative living in an annex receives a 50% discount)

We will grant a 100% council tax hardship allowance (section 13a) to care leavers. There is no need to apply as our care leaver team will notify the Council Tax service who is eligible for this reduction. Disabled Band Reduction is also available, please see this topic in the list on the left.

Please select the discount or exemption on the left to find out more and how to apply.

Published: 16 December 2020

Last updated: 6 June 2024