Skip to main content

This is a new website - we welcome your feedback to help us improve it.

Apply for Council Tax discounts and exemptions

If you claim a discount, you will still have to pay the amount demanded on your bill until we make a decision on your claim.

Published on: 16 December 2020

Last updated: 25 January 2021

Single person discount

If you live on your own, you are entitled to a 25% discount off your annual bill. 


When considering the number of adults living in a property, we do not count certain people. These include: 

  • full-time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth-training trainees 
  • patients living in hospital 
  • people who are being looked after in care homes 
  • people who are severely mentally impaired 
  • people staying in certain hostels or night shelters 
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school 
  • care workers working for low pay, usually for charities 
  • people caring for someone with a disability who is not a husband or wife, partner or child under 18 
  • members of visiting forces and certain international institutions 
  • foreign diplomats and certain members of international organisations 
  • members of religious communities (for example, monks and nuns) 
  • people in prison (except those in prison for not paying their Council Tax or a fine)

A single person discount remains on your account for the entire period that you are a single occupier. Single occupancy is reviewed every two years and if we do not receive confirmation from you that you are still a single occupier then the discount will be removed.