Single person discount
If you live on your own, you are entitled to a 25% discount off your annual bill.
When considering the number of adults living in a property, we do not count certain people. These include:
- full-time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth-training trainees
- patients living in hospital
- people who are being looked after in care homes
- people who are severely mentally impaired
- people staying in certain hostels or night shelters
- 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
- care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
- people caring for someone with a disability who is not a husband or wife, partner or child under 18
- members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
- foreign diplomats and certain members of international organisations
- members of religious communities (for example, monks and nuns)
- people in prison (except those in prison for not paying their Council Tax or a fine)
A single person discount remains on your account for the entire period that you are a single occupier. Single occupancy is reviewed every two years and if we do not receive confirmation from you that you are still a single occupier then the discount will be removed.