Advice for residents and visitors
Our markets are open as part of our commitment to helping you support your local economy.
From Monday 1 June, some more traders will be returning to our markets, provided they are able to meet the COVID-19 secure guidelines to protect shoppers and workers. The council is working closely with traders to provide advice and support that helps them operate safely. We need traders and the public to continue to support the rules that keep the community safe when visiting outdoor markets.
Please remember to follow the government advice on social distancing when going outside and visiting your local markets. This includes:
- stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people
- limit contact with other people
- travel on foot or by bike if you can; consider all other options before using public transport
- wash your hands for 20 seconds on a regular basis
- if you cannot social distance and you’re likely to come into contact with people you don’t normally meet, wearing a face covering is recommended
Advice for market traders
The markets team is providing advice and support to traders to help you start trading again. This includes guidance on phasing out cash payments where possible, managing your queuing systems and serving customers safely. It is essential you follow Public Health advice to ensure the safety of all traders and customers by:
- washing hands regularly with warm water and wear disposable gloves to limit contact
- where possible, encourage card payments to reduce the spread of infection
- not allowing shoppers to touch commodities
- keeping market stalls clean, and wipe down on a regular basis
- traders and their registered workers ensuring customers queuing 2 metres apart. This can be enforced through the use of queue markers, so people know where to queue.
- stopping trading immediately to reduce the risk of infecting others if a you or a registered worker develops symptoms (as outlined by the Government)
- stopping trading if you are a vulnerable trader (as outlined by the Government) and to inform Westminster’s Markets Team of this decision
- stopping use of public transport to access the market where possible
Please email the markets team on firstname.lastname@example.org if you need further advice or support.
Last updated: 9 June 2020