Like Westminster itself, our schools are diverse and vibrant, offering a wide range of opportunities to give your child a well-rounded education, support their development and set them up for a successful future.
We are proud of the education we offer in Westminster:
- 93% of City of Westminster schools have been judged outstanding or good by Ofsted – these schools are attended by 95% of Westminster’s children
- Westminster primary schools consistently perform above the national average in reading, writing and math
- GCSE results in Westminster secondary schools outperform national scores and continue to improve in key indicators
- Westminster schools have significantly more students achieving top grades A level grades than the rest of the England
- Children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities have a high level of achievement, standing well above national averages.
Nurseries and Early Years
Did you know that over 80% of our primary schools also have nurseries? That’s 32 nursery classes in Westminster’s primary schools! Attending a nursery which is joined to a school is an excellent way to make starting school easier as your child will know classmates and have established friendship, as well as being familiar with the location and facilities.
Amazing starts today at our nurseries and Early Years, which:
- Provide exceptional care to ensure children are happy, safe and inspired
- Offer a balance of adult-led and child-led activities with a focus on learning through play
- Provide individual support tailored to children’s needs and designed to develop their creativity and curiosity.
15 hours of free and flexible early education and childcare is available for all 3 and 4 year olds for up to 38 weeks per year. An extended entitlement of 30 hours of early education is available for working parents, where eligible.
From September 2021, there will be 38 primary schools in Westminster, including maintained primary schools, free schools and academies. Each of our primary schools builds a foundation for children to flourish during and after their education.
Amazing starts today at our primary schools, which:
- Provide a safe, inspiring and nurturing learning environment in which children can thrive, achieve and develop life-long skills
- Work closely with families and local communities to support children to experience a wide range of opportunities and broaden their horizons
- Reflect and celebrate the diverse cultures and communities that make Westminster great while ensuring that each child is valued as an individual.
There are 11 secondary schools in Westminster, including maintained secondary schools, academies and one all-thorough school. Each school is unique in its offering and values but all are committed to providing the highest standard of education for their students. All our schools provide their students with a foundation for a successful, empowered and fulfilling future.
Amazing starts today at our secondary schools, which:
- Offer a broad and balanced curriculum and extensive extra-curricular provision including arts, sports, music and career-related opportunities
- Work with a diverse range of educational partners and support students to explore higher education, apprenticeships and career opportunities
- Prioritise strong and inclusive pastoral systems designed to support each individual student’s wellbeing and drive their progress.
Special education and additional needs (SEND)
There are three SEND schools in Westminster, which have all been judged good by Ofsted. In addition to this, all our schools have a SEND Information Report and a Special Educational Needs coordinator (SENCo). Our schools work hard to deliver the best possible education to meet the individual learning needs of their students.
Amazing starts today at our special schools, which:
- ensure schools students’ needs are identified and met quickly
- work closely with health partners, social care and family services to offer a high-quality provision for young people with SEND
- prioritise co-production with parents to maximise all learning opportunities, in or outside of school
- offer a wide-ranging creative curriculum, within which every student can achieve their best and all successes are celebrated.
Westminster has one alternative provision academy for primary and secondary, which has been judged as good by Ofsted.
Amazing starts today at our alternative provision academy, which:
- Works closely with primary and secondary schools in Westminster to facilitate students’ return to mainstream education whenever possible
- Offers a broad range of GCSE or equivalent qualifications as well as college placements for a variety of vocational courses
- Provides students with individual learning plays to enable to them to achieve the best of their abilities and recognise all successes
- Works closely with families and educational partners to build skills and confidence for success in future life.