Schools admission appeals
You can appeal to an independent panel if your child is not offered a place at your preferred school.
Published: 18 March 2021
Last updated: 18 March 2021
How to appeal
The first step is to appeal in writing. Request an appeal form from the Council or direct from the school if they organise their own appeals. Contact the admissions team in the first instance for advice.
Our comprehensive step-by-step guide below takes you through the appeals process.
Please be aware that due to the Covid-19 restrictions in place due, appeal hearings may be held virtually. The Clerk to the Independent Appeal Panel will provide further information once your appeal has been lodged.
Visit Child Law Advice Service for independent advice about appeals and other education issues.
Advice line: 0300 330 5485
Appeals timetable for 2021 entry
Primary reception class appeals 2021
- National Offer Day - 16 April 2021
- Appeal forms for community primary schools dispatched from 3 May 2021
- Appeals lodged for community schools by 24 May 2021
- Appeal hearings scheduled throughout June/July 2021
Secondary transfer appeals 2021
- National Offer Day - 1 March 2021
- Appeals for schools administered by the Council dispatched from 6 April 2021
- Completed appeals lodged by 9 May 2021
- Appeal hearings scheduled throughout June and July 2021
- Check timetables with the individual school you want to appeal for
- Contact the Admissions Team on 020 7745 6433 or [email protected] for more information on the appeals procedure