Order a copy of a certificate
Find out how you can order copies of birth, death, and marriage certificates.
Published: 3 December 2020
Last updated: 1 February 2021
For births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships registered in Westminster, certificates for the following years only can be ordered from us online:
birth certificates for 1921 onwards
death certificates for 1971 onwards
marriage certificates for 1946 onwards
civil partnership certificates from 2005 onwards
Please do not place an order for records before these dates. See Location of Westminster Registration records for more information on how to order
Guide to ordering
Please check these guidelines before placing your order:
- Priority delivery orders will be dispatched from our office within one working day of receiving the order. International delivery orders and Signed For 1st Class orders will be dispatched from our office within 7 working days of receiving the order.
- Please note that on the first Tuesday of each month, the Westminster Registration Service is closed. Subsequently any priority service orders received on or after 10am on the first Tuesday of each month will not be picked up and processed until the following business day. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Please do not provide reference numbers from General Register Office indexes, Ancestry.co.uk, findmypast.com or similar websites, as they don't relate to Westminster registers.
- You must provide the details of the person on the certificate.
- Newborn babies must be registered in person at the register office before copy certificates can be ordered online.
- Adoption certificates must be ordered directly from the General Register Office on 0300 123 1837.
- If you're unsure whether the event took place in Westminster, order your certificate from the General Register Office who hold all the records for England and Wales.
Certificates cost £11 each.
If you need the certificate urgently, we offer a priority dispatch service for an extra £24.
priority delivery - £34 (including priority issue)
international delivery - £10
1st class signed for (UK only) - £5
Order a certificate
Please follow this link to place an order.