Skip to main content

EU settlement scheme - ID document scanning service

EU-EEA and Swiss citizens and their families can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to remain living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

Published: 7 January 2021

Last updated: 2 July 2021

Note: this service ended on Wednesday 30 June 2021.

Applying to the EU settlement scheme

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. To find out more and make an application visit the GOV.UK website.

Advice and support

Westminster City Council has teamed up with Citizens Advice to offer information and advice to EU nationals living in Westminster. If you have questions or need help applying for settled status, call 0300 330 9011 Tuesdays and Thursdays, 11am to 2pm.

Help scanning your documents

When applying to the EU settlement scheme, the first stage of the process requires you to scan and verify your identity documents using a Home Office App on your mobile phone.

About the service

At your appointment, we'll provide you with an Android device, similar to a basic smart phone, with access to the Home Office mobile ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app to scan and verify your identity documents.

Applicants should be aware that the app and technology offered is the same version which can be accessed at home on personal devices.

You must attend the appointment in person to use the service. Your immigration advisor cannot submit the documents on your behalf.

We are unable to assist with the second stage of the application or advise on eligibility requirements. 

Please note that the app is compatible with acceptable EU documentation (passport and biometric residence card) and for applicants who are family members of EU residents but are themselves from outside the EU with UK issued biometric residence cards only.

If you do not have a biometric residence card, you will need to complete your application by post, or make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo, or only a photo for children under 5) in advance of this EUSS application.

Visit the UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services for further information.

Things you'll need for the appointment

At your appointment you will need:

  • a mobile telephone
  • an email address
  • Westminster City Council residents will need proof of address (eg recent bank statement, utility bill, council tax bill or UK driving licence)​
  • EU-EEA and Swiss citizens will need a valid biometric EU passport (with working chip)
  • family members of EU-EEA and Swiss citizens will need a valid Biometric Residence Permit (with working chip)


Free for Westminster residents (proof of address will be required at the appointment).

£21 for non-residents of Westminster City Council.

About the EU Settlement Scheme

For further information about the EU Settlement Scheme, including who should and shouldn't apply, please visit GOV.UK.