Skip to main content

This is a new website - we welcome your feedback to help us improve it.

Guide to Housing Benefit

Find out more detailed information about Housing Benefit and who is eligible to apply for it.

Published on: 8 December 2020

Last updated: 25 January 2021

Universal Credit

Universal Credit will replace the following:

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support

If you’re already claiming benefits, your local Jobcentre Plus or Tax Credits office will tell you when you have to move to Universal Credit.

Universal Credit may include money towards your housing costs. You’ll have to arrange with your landlord to start paying your own rent, if you don’t do this already.