Adverts and signs

The advertisement control system covers a wide range of adverts and signs including shop signs, estate agents boards and adverts on hoardings and flags.

Adverts and signs guidelines

You will need advertisement consent for most kinds of outdoor advertising. However, certain types of signs do not need our permission as they have what is known as 'deemed consent rights'. For further information, see the planning portal.

In assessing applications, we will look at factors such as design, size, materials, illumination, the relationship of the advert to the existing building and the impact on the street scene.

The following supplementary planning guidance notes have been produced to assist property owners considering displaying advertisements: 

Estate agent boards

Estate agent boards can have a detrimental impact on local character, especially in conservation areas.

Certain parts of Westminster are covered by  a Regulation 7 Direction which controls the display of such estate agent boards.  This removes ‘deemed consent rights’ which means anyone who wants to display such boards in these areas must apply for Advertisement Consent.

The leaflet and map below gives more information and shows those parts of Westminster affected by this Direction: : 

You can apply for advertisement consent on the planning portal. 

Last updated: 10 August 2016