Adapting homes for disabled people

If you or someone living in your property is disabled, you may qualify for a disabled facilities grant.

1. Disabled facilities grant

The disabled facilities grant goes towards the cost of works needed to help a disabled person to remain living more independently in their home.

The maximum grant available is £30,000 for the following improvements:

  • make it easier to get in and out of the dwelling by, for example, widening doors and installing ramps
  • ensure the safety of the disabled person and other occupants
  • make it easier to access the living room
  • provide or improve access to the bedroom, living room, kitchen, toilet, washbasin, bath or shower facilities by installing a stair lift or providing a downstairs bathroom for example
  • improve or provide a heating system suitable for the disabled person
  • make heating or lighting controls easier to use
  • improve access and movement around the home so the disabled person can care for another person who lives in the property such as a spouse, child or another person for whom the disabled person cares

2. Eligibility

The disabled facilities grant is available to owner occupiers and tenants, however, certain conditions apply.

The grant is means-tested unless the disabled person is a child, and you may have to make a contribution towards the cost of the works, depending on your financial circumstances.

If you are a council tenant, the council will carry out whatever works are needed (or move you to a more suitable home) and you will not be expected to apply for a means-tested grant. Similar arrangements are in place for most housing association tenants.

3. Apply

You can register for a grant online

Register online

Alternatively, please contact us using the details listed below for your postcode. A visit will be arranged to assess the disabled person's needs.

Disabled people over 18-years-old

If you live in NW8, NW1, W2, W9, W10, W11, please contact:

  • telephone: 020 7641 3897
  • fax: 020 7641 5426
  • address: 215 Lisson Grove, NW8 8LF

​If you live in SW1, SW7, W1, WC2, please contact:

  • telephone: 020 7641 3897
  • fax: 020 7641 3167
  • address: 7th Floor, City Hall, 64 Victoria Street, SW1E 6QP

Disabled children

If you need an assessment for a disabled child, contact the Children with Disabilities Team on:

  • telephone: 020 7266 7105
  • fax: 020 7289 6276
  • address: The Medical Centre, 7E Woodfield Road, W9 3XZ

For more information about disabled facilities grants, adaptations and other forms of housing support including the Handyperson Service, contact the Home Improvement Agency (HIA).

Last updated: 6 December 2016
Rate this page: