Coronavirus infections are increasing. Keep safe by washing your hands, covering your face and keeping space. If you have symptoms, please get tested. Learn more about controlling the spread of coronavirus

Housing choices

Sheltered housing

If you are 60 years of age or over when you apply for housing, we will assess you to see if your needs could be met by sheltered housing.

These schemes offer self-contained flats with a scheme manager, who is on site for a few hours every day Monday to Friday. They will liaise with social services and other agencies to ensure residents can live independently. Most schemes have shared facilities such as a lounge and laundry service. They all have a 24-hour emergency alarm system.

You can choose whether or not to take advantage of these services. But many people enjoy the additional security a sheltered flat offers.

For more information contact the Housing Solutions Service.

Seaside and country homes scheme

The seaside and country homes scheme is run by City Hall and provides bungalows and flats for older tenants who want to move out of the city to a seaside or country location.

The scheme has a portfolio of 1 and 2 bedroom flats and bungalows across the south of England, mostly in seaside towns or rural country areas.

In order to qualify, you must be an existing council or housing association tenant with a clear rent account, and be aged 55 years or above.

Extra care housing

The extra care housing scheme offers an alternative for residents no longer able to live alone or in sheltered housing.

The scheme is ideally suited to residents who require a care package between 2 and 4 visits a day. Residents still have their own self-contained flat, with a scheme manager on site. The extra care comes from a specially trained team of home carers who are on site daily.

For more information contact Adult Social Care on 020 7641 2500.

The Advocacy Project

The Advocacy Project is a local, independent voluntary organisation based in Ladbroke Grove. The Advocacy Project helps older people, people with learning disabilities, people with mental health issues, and those with dementia to say what they want, secure their rights and obtain services.

This includes assisting people in obtaining the care and support that is needed, helping with housing issues, or resolving social and commercial disputes.

If you are over 60 and think the Advocacy Project could help you, contact them at:

Call 020 8969 3000
Visit 73 St. Charles Square, London, W10 6EJ

Care homes

Considering moving to a care home is a big decision. Discussing this with a care manager may help you to understand the different options available to you, from support to staying at home, as well as alternative accommodation.

If you are considering moving into a care home on a permanent basis you can find information on the different types of care homes available and how to find the best care home for you on People First.

Last updated: 15 January 2020