Accident and insurance claims against the council

Please browse through the steps in this guide to find out more about making accident and insurance claims against the council.

1. Accident claims

Making a claim against the council

If you are a third party solicitor and wish to submit a new Employer's Liability (EL), Public Liability (PL) or Road Traffic Accident (RTA) claim against the council through the claims portal, the council's portal code is: G01066

If you are a claimant in person and wish to make a liability claim against the council please submit a letter of claim to the council’s Insurance team at or Insurance Section, 3rd Floor, Town Hall, Hornton Street, London, W8 7NX.

If your accident occurred in a City West Homes property before 1 April 2018, visit the City West Homes website. If your accident occurred after 1 April 2018, please submit your claim as above.

The information needed in a letter of claim is defined in law and should include the following information:

  • claimant’s name and address
  • claimant’s date of birth
  • claimant’s National Insurance number
  • details of the incident such as exact location and date and time it occurred
  • an indication of the injury or damage to property
  • a detailed explanation of how or why you feel the council has acted negligently
If you are making a highways claim, it will help if you complete a highways claim form (doc, 64KB).

2. Before making a claim

Before making a claim for compensation against the council please note the following:

  • everybody has the right to make a claim but the council will only give compensation if the council is legally at fault for the incident
  • for a personal injury claim, once the council has acknowledged your letter of claim, they have 40 business days from the date the letter of acknowledgement is sent to investigate the claim and either admit or deny liability. These timescales adhere to the current Ministry of Justice: Pre-action Protocols. All other claims such as property damage claims are handled in the spirit of these protocols
  • if you are insured privately for the damage or injury sustained, such as motor insurance, you may wish to report the claim to them. If covered they will settle your loss and then pursue recovery against the council on your behalf, reducing the administrative burden on you
  • fraudulent claims will be prosecuted and could result in imprisonment

Please include as much information as possible and include any photographs or maps of the location. It’s your responsibility to prove your loss against the council; vague or incomplete information or failure to identify the exact location of a slip or trip claim will prevent legitimate investigation and will result in your claim not being accepted as meeting the Ministry of Justice: Pre-action Protocols. The more information you provide the council, the easier it will be to investigate and reach a decision of liability.

Please note that failure to provide sufficient information in your letter will result in it not being considered a letter of claim.

3. Buildings insurance claims

If you are a Westminster residential leaseholder and wish to make a claim on your buildings insurance, please refer to the CityWest Homes website

If you are a Westminster commercial property leaseholder and wish to make a claim, please contact the council’s commercial property insurers, Protector Insurance, quoting policy ref 549801:

4. Insurance team contact details

For all other queries relating to insurance claims, please contact the council’s insurance section:

  • post: Insurance section, 3rd Floor, Town Hall, Hornton Street, London, W8 7NX
  • telephone:  07590883197 / 07714839767

Last updated: 19 December 2018
Rate this page: