Pre-school Early Education
All 3 and 4 year olds whose parents require it are entitled to a funded part-time early education place of up to 15 hours per week during term time. Use the link for a comprehensive list of nurseries in your area.
Children who attend a nursery where funded places are available will be eligible for a funded place from the term following their 3rd birthday see guidance publication below for full details.
Early Education places are available in a variety of settings that are inspected by Ofsted. Please use the links above for further information.
Free early learning for 2 year olds
From September 2013, some two year olds from low income families will be entitled to a free part-time early education place under a new national scheme. These places can be taken up at, pre-school, childminder or a selected number of nurseries.
Who is eligible?
The government is funding the places for two-year-olds from low-income families who receive benefits. In order to be eligible families must be resident in the City of Westminster and must also be in receipt of one of the following benefits:
• Income support
• Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
• Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
• Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
Please note, if you are in receipt of Working Tax Credit, you will not be eligible.
Children are also entitled to a free place if they:
• are looked after by the local authority (e.g. foster care)
• have a child protection plan
When will my child/ren be eligible for their free place?
|Child’s second birthday falls between||They will be entitled to their free place from||They can contact FIS from|
|1 September 2012 and 31 August 2013||The start of the autumn term in September 2013||From April 2013|
|1 September and 31 December 2013||The start of the spring term in January 2014||From September 2013|
|1 January and 31 March 2014||The start of the summer term after Easter 2014||From January 2014|
How can I apply?
Download a copy of the eligibility form and the document below, that shows nurseries in your area offering the 2 year old places for further information. Please note that some of Westminster's Network Childminders are also able to deliver this offer. Contact the Family Information Service for details of the network childminders in your area.
Contact the FIS helpline on 020 7641 7929 or email for more information.
The City Council have produced a guide for parents with children starting primary and nursery schools in September 2013. To download a copy of the guide 'Your choice for primary education' brochure please go to Schools Admissions page or contact the Schools Admissions Team on 020 7641 1816/1817.
Download information sheets to find out more about early years education.
- Nursery Education Funding
- Nursery Education Funding Leaflet
- 2 Year Old Programme Eligibility E-Form
- Nurseries delivering the 2 year old offer
- Guide to the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework
Was this useful?
Whatever your interest, Westminster City Council welcomes and encourages you to get in touch with suggestions for improvements to the site. Please tell us how useful this page was to you.