Soho Action Plan
Where are we now?
- Renewal; and
- One Soho
What has been happening?
- Working closely with the Soho Caring Agencies Forum. The Forum has developed a 'Time Bank' to encourage volunteering activities across all communities in Soho.
- The roll out of the Neat Street initiative which identifies and removes unnecessary street clutter
- The Soho Living City Project aims to create a 'blue print' for City Management by working with a range of partners including the Police to renew the area, making it a better and safer place to live, work and visit
- Working with the Met Police and care agencies to target anti social behaviour
- Initiatives to design out crime, including improvements to lighting and recess doorways
- Development of strategies to deal with problem premises and also illegal street trading
- Development of a Business Crime Prevention initiative
- Commissioning a feasibility study for a LGBT Centre of Excellence
- Completion of a report 'Retrofitting Soho' making key recommendations as to how to make Soho more sustainable.
- Exploring the possibility of developing retrofit building guidance for the historic environment in Soho.
- Improvements and development of street markets in the Berwick Street area including the introduction of a pilot ‘Food Lovers’ Saturday market on Rupert Street
The key to our success has been partnership working. We will continue to work with our partners including:
- The Met Police to provide improvements to order and safety for residents, businesses and visitors
- Westminster PCT to providing improvements in health and well being
- Local businesses in the area such as the Berwick Street and Rupert Street Market traders
- Local community groups
- We are also working in partnership with landowners such as Shaftesbury and Soho Estates to provide improvements to the streetscape
Was this useful?
Whatever your interest, Westminster City Council welcomes and encourages you to get in touch with suggestions for improvements to the site. Please tell us how useful this page was to you.